The Bible has a lot to say to us about being thankful. I have noted nine valuable reasons you can give thanks during this season of Thanksgiving and all year long.
1. God is deserving of our thanks- “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever”. ( I Chronicles 16:34),This verse can be found throughout the scriptures).
2. Thankfulness is a great witness- “ Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done”, ( I Chronicles 16:8).
3. In the midst of your struggles and pain, God is with you- “The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song”, ( Psalm 28:7).
4. Give thanks because God is for you’He remains faithful even when you falter- “Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men”, (found four times in (Psalm 107).
5. It’s a command- “And he [Jesus] took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” (Luke 22:19)
6. Thanksgiving shows that you know to whom you belong and builds character- “Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus” (I Thessalonians 5:18).
7. Give thanks because God uses broken vessels like us to do his work. “But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him,” (II Corinthians 2:14).
8. Give thanks because you have a Savior- “Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift”, (II Corinthians 9:15).
9. Give thanks because not only has your debt been paid, you can now live with hope, love, and faith- “But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ”,
( I Corinthians 15:57).
Special Note: May you and your family have a Happy Thanksgiving 2014!!
Pastor James Baker, Jr.